Position Location: San Francisco, CA
Founded in 1996, Amazon Watch is a nonprofit organization that protects the rainforest and advances the rights of indigenous peoples in the Amazon Basin. We partner with indigenous and environmental organizations in campaigns for human rights, corporate accountability and the preservation of the Amazon's ecological systems. Amazon Watch has led the way in a number of groundbreaking victories for indigenous peoples’ rights and the environment through leading effective campaigns, educating corporations and the public, and strengthening the capacities of indigenous committees.
Amazon Watch is seeking an entrepreneurial, savvy, hands-on manager as the Deputy Director (DD) to join us in continuing our organizational vision and growth. As Amazon Watch expands its programs, the DD will be a key contributor. Based in our San Francisco Headquarters, the DD will lead our strategic planning process and be responsible for managing and directing our development, finance, and operations departments to deliver effective support to our program and communications teams and to indigenous and local communities in the regions of the Amazon where we work.
The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of financial management in a non-profit context as well as knowledge of development processes and systems. The DD will have the skills to effectively partner with staff and consultants to develop budgets, conduct scenario planning, and build systems to scaffold organizational growth.
The DD will report to the Executive Director.
The DD will direct and manage three departments (Development, Finance and Operations), lead the organization’s strategic planning, evaluation, and budgeting processes, and directly supervise the Development and Administrative Associate (DAA).
Strategic Planning, Budgeting & Evaluation (20%)
- Lead annual and 5-year strategic planning processes
- Coordinate annual evaluation processes with Program Director and Operations/ HR Manager
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting process, creating a budget development system for dissemination to program, development, finance, and operations teams; train staff on budget development & planning as needed
- Review all financial plans and budgets, acting as a project lead for integration
- Lead quarterly budget reviews
- Conduct budget modifications in conjunction with staff and management team as needed
Financial Management (20%)
- Supervise Controller/Financial Manager and serve as primary liaison with Board treasurer
- Work with Controller/Financial Manager to ensure effective financial/accounting policies and processes, developing and implementing “best practices” finance and administrative systems
- Approve expense reports
- Work with Controller/Financial Manager to manage the timely release of restriction processes in coordination with the development and program staff
- Manage development team in implementing a targeted strategy for securing philanthropic support from individuals, foundations and organizations
- Participate in fundraising activities and donor engagement
- Work with Grants Manager to manage and prioritize the development calendar for a portfolio of 50+ current and prospective foundation funders, ensuring timely submission of proposals and reports
- Work with Major Donor/Events Consultant and senior staff on the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual and organizational donors
- Work with Online Manager on on-line fundraising campaigns
- Participate in donor delegations to the Amazon Basin with Amazon Watch program staff
- Supervise the DAA, ensuring ongoing maintenance of all database systems
- Lead annual report process
HR & Operations Management (20%)
- Oversee the organization’s Human Resources functions
- Lead team building and staff development initiatives
- Supervise Operations Manager and Risk Manager
- Work with Operations Manager and DAA to manage the organization’s contract process including developing templates and ongoing tracking systems to ensure compliance, review and approval of external contracts
- Work with Risk Manager on risk management, insurance, and legal issues
- Bachelor's degree
- Minimum of [5 years] of relevant management experience, with at least [2 years] experience in a non-profit context
- Experience in financial planning and policies for an organization of similar size ($2-3M budget) and complexity
- Experience with financial management of multiple grants, including restricted grants
- Demonstrated knowledge of non-profit development systems and processes
- Demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate agreements, e.g., outsourcing contracts, leases, facilities contracts
- Excellent computer skills, including fluency in Microsoft Excel and other Office applications
- Keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, board and other outside stakeholders
- Flexibility and adaptability in work style and schedule
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups and cross-functionally
- MBA or equivalent advanced degree
- Experience with Salesforce database
- Experience with high-growth organizations and/or international organizations
- Spanish or Portuguese proficiency a plus
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus health, dental, chiropractic, and matching retirement plan option.
Amazon Watch is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political belief, age, gender, sexual orientation or class. People of color and indigenous people strongly encouraged to apply. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Please send resume and cover letter about why you would like to join our team and why you are the best candidate for the job to:
Helena Brykarz, Contract Recruiter
Global Recruitment Specialists
PO Box 7382, Berkeley, CA 94707