Human Resources Associate, HR Generalist
Client: The Carter Center
Location: Atlanta, GA
USA citizenship or current U.S. work authorization is required for this position
Serving as a generalist in support of all aspects of the human resources operations for The Carter Center, the HR Associate, coordinates with various Emory departments to implement human resources processes and ensures consistent application of Emory/Carter Center policies/procedures.
The HR Associate will perform established transactional activities for staff of The Carter Center, including employee onboarding and orientation, timekeeping, and recruitment activities. Facilitates the implementation of policies and procedures in compliance with established Carter Center/Emory University guidelines. Interprets and counsels' managers and employees on policies and procedures to ensure consistency in application. Leads employee training and education on various HR-related topics. Responsible for gathering relevant information for employee relations, occupational injury and FMLA requests.
Accountable for the integrity of data in databases, records, and files and prepares ad-hoc and routine reports. The HR team coordinates and executes staff events. This position reports to the Director, Human Resources and serves as the back-up for the Director and may supervise staff, volunteers and/or interns.
Bachelor's degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field and three years of human resources experience in support role as a generalist or in one of many human resources fields such as recruitment, employee relations, and/or compensation administration.
The successful candidate will be proactive and responsive to the organization's needs, have exceptional interpersonal skills, strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to multi-task. The HR Associate is required to have the ability to exercise sound judgment, discretion, and maintain a high degree of confidentiality. International not-for-profit human resources administration experience in a cross-cultural setting is preferred. Prior specialization in recruitment and professional development is a plus.
- RECRUITMENT: In coordination with the Director, assists with the recruitment and staffing processes for Carter Center positions including working with hiring supervisors to identify recruitment sources, coordinating advertising, posting, and sourcing with Emory University staffing representatives, working with search firms on key hiring initiatives, screening/interviewing applicants; developing salary offers with Emory University human resources staff; conducting reference checks; ensuring compliance with applicable laws, regulations and other requirements. Trains applicable staff on recruiting, effective interviewing skills and hiring procedures.
- EMPLOYEE RELATIONS: Advises and assists employees and supervisors in the handling of employee relations issues, complaints and/or grievances. Conducts investigations and participates in various processes to resolve informal and formal complaints. May act as a liaison/facilitator/coach to resolve employee relations issues. Collaborates with and informs Emory HR and other units as needed.
- BENEFITS: Coordinates international medical insurance coverage for identified national staff and third country nationals using a third-party vendor as well as facilitating claims services. Serves as a resource and reference for Emory benefits including 40313 consultations, Faculty Staff Assistance Program (F SAP), and WorkfLife Resource Programs.
- POSITION DESCRIPTIONS: Manages the process with supervisors to review, update and ensure appropriate Carter Center position descriptions for all employees.
- TRAINING AND ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Works with the Director, HR and Center leadership to determine staff development needs and designs customized programs for Carter Center staff. Collaborates with Emory Learning Services department and consultants to implement training and development programs for staff. Designs, develops, conducts and facilitates in-house training programs for employees. Trains and advises supervisors on employee performance and address employee problems to ensure employees understand performance expectations and develop skills to perform their jobs effectively. Responsible for conducting the new employee orientation program and managing the onboarding process for staff.
- GLOBAL HUMAN RESOURCES SUPPORT: Assists the Director and may serves as a resource to program staff for personnel issues and topics that are related to local national staff and third country nationals. May work with program staff and consultants to research local pay and benefit practices as needed and make recommendations accordingly.
- HR ADMINISTRATION: Accurately processes human resources transactions, including hiring, data information changes, reclassifications, and payroll changes. Approves payroll time and attendance transactions for submittal to Emory and verifies accuracy of payroll details submitted.
- INTERNATIONAL EMPLOYMENT: Will coordinate the administration and processing of expatriate allowances, and F-1/J-1/H1-B work-visas. Coordinates and processes required documents to Emory University International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS).
- POLICIES AND PROCEDURES: Works closely with Carter Center managers and staff to analyze issues and provide input into the design and administration of human resources processes and procedures to meet their needs. Interprets and counsels’ managers and staff on Carter Center/Emory policies and procedures to ensure fair and consistent application.
- COMMITTEES: Serves on and provides input to internal and external committees (FSAPIEmory FIR) and represents the department and The Carter Center within Emory University as assigned.
- EMPLOYEE RECOGNITION & EVENTS: Organizes Center staff meetings, annual events, wellness initiatives, brown bag lectures, and other staff activities. May participate in developing and maintaining various community relationships.
- SPECIAL PROJECTS: Responsible to work with the Director and other staff to complete special internal and external projects as assigned. May coordinate and manage consultants.
- RECORDKEEPING: Maintains in-house databases for leave balances and oversees maintenance of employee data in the Emory HRIS system and in Carter Center personnel files in accordance with applicable regulations.
- PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT: Stays current with legal requirements and monitors new employment legislation and trends. Maintains professional growth by participating in educational programs, professional organizations, and activities to advance knowledge of human resources management trends.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
To Apply: The Carter Center has contracted Global Recruitment Specialists to assist with this recruitment effort. Please email a cover letter and updated resume/CV to:
Praveena Praveen, Contract Recruiter
Global Recruitment Specialists “Positioning You for Success”
75 Main Street, Suite 285, Norwalk, Connecticut (CT) 06851 USA
Phone: (+1) 203-899-0499